Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Sunday, January 13, 2013

Recipe for Homemade Bisquick Mix

My younger Sister (aka Coupon Con) was telling me of her boxes of Bisquick that she purchased for pennies on the dollar.  She made quite the haul.  Lots of times, the stores around her area run double coupon days or extreme sales on her target items, allowing her to swoop in with her savvy couponing ways.  She lives close in proximity to these outlets which makes multiple stops easy for her.   I love to hear her finds and miss (on occasions like this) the days of having the larger chain stores close at hand.   Her story got me thinking about an alternative.  Why not save money by making my own Bisquick from scratch?  Hmmm.

I began to search around looking for a worthy recipe.  In the end, my mind focused upon a recipe that seemed to be a common thread to all the recipes floating out there.  The only exception is that I did not incorporate the powdered milk, since I seem to always have milk in the house.  Also, there are other recipes that use butter instead of vegetable shortening.  Although I love the idea of butter and may try substituting it someday, my mix made use of Butter Flavor Crisco shortening that does not require refrigeration; although, I am a massive chicken and have my container stored in the fridge! LOL 

Here is the simple recipe that created my homemade Bisquick mix:

6 c.  All Purpose Flour (sifted)
3 T.  Baking Powder
1 T.  Salt
1 c.  Butter Flavor Crisco

All ingredients are placed in a bowl and mixed together using a hand held pastry blender.  The mix should look crumbly like the picture below and is loose flour when picked up in the hand. 

Ta Da!  That is all there is too it. And to my pleasant surprise, the mixing went fast. :)





Here are the biscuits that I made using  2 1/4 c. mix with 2/3 c. milk.  The mix and milk were stirred into a soft dough and rolled out on a floured surface to 1/2" thickness.  They were cut out with a biscuit cutter and baked on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes at 450 degrees.

 


The final verdict... They unanimously won the approval of my family.   :0) 

No comments: