Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Monday, April 2, 2012

A Thrifty "Hand Me Down" Find ;) ~ A Kenmore Zig Zag Sewing Machine

I am happy to introduce the newest arrival to my sewing circle... a Kenmore #1941 Zig Zag machine.  Isn't she a beauty?  :)  Her chrome detailing is a little flashier than my #1310 Zig Zag (aka Kenzie), and she sports a few more features in her repertoire.  A quick initial inspection reveals that she has a flip switch for power, a lever for reverse, less knobs, hidden storage, and a detachable base for easy cuffs.  She is snazzy and will be a welcome work horse to my sewing experience.  Plus, I am sure Kenzie will be happy to have a friend to share the load! ;)

I love these steel bodied Kenmore's (I dread to think that they are probably considered vintage by some! ;) ).  They can stitch through numerous layers without even a hiccup.  When working with linty felted wool, there is no other option to me.  I need a machine that is tough and can be cleaned with a simple brush and vacuum but is accurate enough to piece together my quilting projects.  This newest addition is a "super high shank" gal, so I purchased an adapter to enable her to use my 1/4 inch piecing presser foot.  I am anxious to see how she likes my Aurifil thread.  Kenzie wasn't too thrilled with it!  

Since Kenzie loves to stitch through multi layers of felted wool projects, I have moved her upstairs into my wool project construction area.  This will be great, since all my recycled felted wool can be found stored in tubs nearby.  My quilt fabric is located on the main floor of our home, so the newest Kenmore will reside in the sewing area of my front room.  She will be set up and ready for working on all of my quilts at a moment's notice. :) 

I will be giving the #1941 a trial run this afternoon on some new blocks for the Skill Builder Challenge.  I have every confidence that things will go smooth... You see this machine and I have a history that goes waaay back.  Her one and only owner was my Mom!  :)    I am confident that our future adventures will be much more enjoyable for both of us than our previous ones, since I have taken the time to actually learn the basics! ;)

Without further ado... Here she is in all her glory...  The newest addition to the Pumpkin Hollow Stitching Circle...

Kenna.  


6 comments:

Carol Stuck said...

My first sewing machine that I owned in 1973 was a Kenmore Zig Zag. I have to say that it was the best machine I have ever used and did the most beautiful applique stitch of even the more expensive Berninas and Singers. It is a definite workhorse!

hugs!
Carol

Brenda said...

Thanks for stopping by Carol... I am so happy to hear your thoughts on the Zig Zag. The #1941 model is so much quieter than my older model! (Not sure if the difference is do to upgrades by Kenmore or usage times on each of the machines.) My hubby and son looked at me funny when they walked through my sewing area. This new girl definitely has a softer voice! ;)

Warm Wishes!

Brenda

A Primitive Homestead said...

Having both machines will make things easier for you. So glad your new machine is a good worker. Always good to know where a used machine came from & being that it was your moms is even better. Blessings!
Lara

Brenda said...

Thanks for dropping by Lara... I am so thankful to be gifted this machine. It runs like a dream and is easier to operate!

Take Care! :)

Unknown said...

I have this same machine. It was my grandmothers. I love it. I wanted to ask you if you know where I can find the complete model number. The machine is in a cabinet. I've searched everywhere and cannot find it. Reason I want to know is that I am trying to find a 1/4 foot with the guide. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda said...

Hello Sandra... You can find the model number on the first tier right hand side of the base (when looking at the machine from the feeding in side).

Hope this helps!

Brenda