Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dr. Seuss is on the Loose ~ Fabric That Is!


Although I have only started making quilts this year, I have been obsessed with fabric for most of my life.  The designs, colors, and textures are a world of fascination to me.  My love of fabric covers vintage, modern, novelty, floral, solids, and well... pretty much everything. ;)  I love them all.  But my heart skips a beat, when they combine my passion for children's literature with cotton!   No guilt of adding to the stash after seeing these fabrics.  "The Grinch that Stole Christmas" based on the book by Dr. Seuss and brought to us adoring fans in cotton by Robert Kaufman Fabrics, is simply perfect.  The gorgeous red and green fabric depicts the Whos sprinkled randomly in black singing.  The fabric, pictured in between those pieces, is a panel with the illustrated scenes from the famous book in brilliant crisp colors.  If you visit Kaufman Fabric's website here , there are several  free quilt patterns.   Scroll down the page to see the free quilt pattern entitled "Merry Grinchmas Panel Quilt."  They offer the instructions for this wonderful panel cut up and incorporated into a quilt.  Their design is so eye catching and full of fun color that I immediately had to buy some fabric for the future project.   

While wandering around on the Internet looking for fabric to coordinate with the "Grinch Quilt", I stumbled across Ready, Set, Snow by Me & My Sister Designs for Moda.  WOW!  The bold color palette and playful designs reminded me of a Seussian tale.  So, I bought two charm packs with the strong feeling that they might end up as terrific accent blocks.   I also stumbled across Kate Spain's "Flurry" for Moda, which can be viewed here .  It reminds me of vintage Christmas wrap.  Love It!!  That has been added to my wish list for now, while I save up some more "add to the stash" money! ;)

No comments: