Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Monday, November 7, 2011

SBS Challenge ~ Block #11 Beacon Light & #16 Minnesota

I finished a few more blocks in my attempt to catch up in the Skills Builder Challenge.  The first picture is of block #11 Beacon Light.  It was an interesting block that was composed  of miscellaneous pieces of fabric being sewn together to make the fabric for the star.  So many Seams!!   The middle was taken from the center of a messed up flying geese block. ;)  This block went smoothly - except now, I can see that I could have taken another swipe with the iron before photographing it!! LOL  You'll have to take my word that it does lay flat on the seams. :)

When I was creating the fabric for this star, I didn't take into consideration that there was white in the colored collage pieces.  It made the pattern look funny upon completion.  I thought that I would have a little fun with this learning experience, so I broke out the fabric paints and turned those pieces yellow and green... Just practicing here! ;)  It really bumped up the color and made me wish that there were more places to put green.  The boost of color gave it a kaleidoscope effect that I really like and makes the block look a lot more interesting.    




My second and more subdued block was #16 Minnesota.  I threw in a few calico prints that I had thrifted recently.  And please do not think that I am color blind and partially crazy (maybe just a little!),  these blocks are most definitely not going into a quilt together.  I have thrown color caution out the window for a whole quilt and have decided to concentrate on individual blocks and my skills.  Did I hear you all let out a sigh of relief?? LOL  

So back to the block,  the challenge on this one was to paper piece the center and middle strips.  Paper piecing is a blast!  I really do like freedom of creating  a shape and constructing a precise shape from the lines.  The images could be limitless, the details endless, and hardly any math involved--Yay!! ...  Can you hear the gears in my head just spinning? ;)
  

I believe that there are only three blocks left to complete to be caught up in the challenge -- one more will added Friday.  Two more weeks to get caught up with the group!! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me I'm now following you!
Lovely quilt...something I don't do but admire those of you who do!
}}Hugs{{
Vicky

Brenda said...

Thanks for stopping by Vicky! Love your blog and your work on Etsy! :)