Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Monday, September 5, 2011

SBS ~ Flying Geese Blocks 8 and 9

Here are the last two blocks completed for the Skill Builder Sampler Challenge.  Number 8  "Break Out" gave me quite a time.  I had to do a second attempt on this one.   The instructions for the HST's (half square triangles) were using a magic method that was suppose to save time.  Don't ask me why, but mine was a mess.  I think one quarter of the block turned out to specs.  The other quarters were all over the place in dimensions.  For some reason, anything that requires the seam to be created left of the feed dogs is not a good thing for me and my machine.  My seams came out exactly a 1/4 of an inch, but my triangles didn't measure out.  Aaargh!

Attempt number two stitched together with a lot less trouble.  I used the exact piece method.  My Kenmore, which I lovingly refer to as Kenzie, does NOT like triangles much .  But, she tolerated them enough to put this one together.  Although the final dimensions were not perfect (ultra picky here!), we created a pretty accurately pieced block.  Could always be better... and that is why this block has been marked to be repeated later on down the road.   Not that I am blaming Kenzie for any errors, but I would like to try this with a newer machine.  (Does Santa read blogs I wonder??)   Kenzie tends to like thicker fabrics.  She rocks with wool! ;) 




Block # 9 "Double Star"  went smoothly.  I could see a lot of possibilities with this block.  I used the exact piecing method on this one and was very happy with the results.  The structure to these star blocks is wonderful to piece together.  The points are so clean and make for such a bold pattern.  The Arizona Star and this Double Star are definitely my faves so far. 



We will be changing to a new technique this Friday.  Although I will be practicing this skill more to perfect my accuracy, I am excited at the new challenge and a little happy to take a break from the Flying Geese!  

2 comments:

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Testing your advice...

Brenda said...

Glad to see that you can post! :)