Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thrifty Finds ~ Back to Thrift Shopping!

Fall is the time when garage sales and flea markets come to an end for another year.  So what is a girl to do with all of her hunting energy?  Why... go thrift shopping of course!  In all honesty, my thrift shopping slows during the summer months due to the lack of winter clothes that are pulled from the shelves.  My main objective in the clothing outlets has been the hunt for wool items to felt and full for various winter projects.  Although my plastic tubs are becoming rather full, the search goes on! ;)  

Below is my last summer trip to the thrift shop.  As you can see fabric is always a great find and a new quilting book. :) 



A few weeks ago, one of the stores switched over to fall/winter clothing.  I bought quite a few wool sweaters for felting that I will get some pics of after washing.  As you can see, they are getting in some nice fabric... hard to pass up at a $1.00 a yard.  Plus, it goes to a good cause.  I call that a "win, win" situation.  I also picked up another quilting book. How can you beat 50 cents for an evening of reading? 



I was surprised to find a white chenille bedspread cut and labeled for crafting.  Bought a few bags of floss to add to my stash, some Christmas fabric, and a wool blend sweater that will be perfect for outdoor winter chores...  Brrrrr!!


I found these wool blankets hanging in the bedding area.  The top one is huge and such a tight weave!  It is a twin size.  Not really sure what to use it for... Hmmm... The bottom is a wool army blanket.  It is a looser weave than the top blanket and would work well for the lining in  a quilt.


Now that fall is here, I will be checking into the shops every few weeks as long as the roads stay clear.  Can you believe that snow will be flying in a few months??? 

No comments: