Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hummingbird Rescue

Have you ever noticed how territorial Hummingbirds can be with each other in regards to outside feeders?  Mine can be simply brutal to each other.  This little girl was chased into our picture window on our front porch as my hubby sat lounging on our swing.  He came to get me, and we found her laying on her back with wings out-stretched.  We were almost certain that she was dead.  My hubby picked her up (wings still stiff and out-stretched) and placed her in the palm of his hand.  I softly petted her wings with slight pressure and got them to go back to the sides of her body.  Her eyes were half open, and she shifted her wee little feet under the weight of her body which I took as a good sign of no paralysis.   Other than that, she didn't seem to have much life to her. 

After about 10 minutes of hubby holding her and covering her to keep her warm,  I ran to make up a box with some towels to settle her into.  I tried to get her to perk up with some Hosta flowers, but she wouldn't even  move.  So we sat her into a nest of towels and made a tent over her to shelter her from  the rainy cool temps.  As I sat contemplating her eminent fate, I decided to mix up some sugar water and try to get her to eat.  Using a measuring teaspoon, I put the mix against the end of her beak.  She rested her beak on the water and kept her eyes shut.  (Did I ever tell you that I do not take failure well when trying to save an animal.  And trust me, I have been through this many times with the tree business.  Ugh!) 

My son arrived  home and didn't have much confidence in my attempts.   I'll admit that I had my doubts.  Then as her beak bobbed on top of the rim of sugar water, I saw the tiniest little tongue that I have ever seen in my life.  It shot out of that long beak... Maybe only a 1/4 of an inch out... But it kept coming out taking in the water.  How amazing is that??   After about 15 minutes of constant feeding, her eyes were wide open, and she would look at me and turn her head slightly to look at my hubby.   She must have ate constantly for about a half an hour or more, and then she began to act drowsy.  As we sat there wondering about her fate, she started to shutter.  I think that we all held our breath.  Then she took one last look at us all and flew away into a nearby tree.  What a relief!  We were all thrilled.  She even jetted back to check the feeder out before buzzing off into the distance. 

All evening we have had little hummingbirds at the feeder, and we wonder which one is our little crash victim.   There is nothing like the feeling of being able to lend a hand to another little being.  They are the most wondrous birds.  Their size and energy captivates me and my family.  Isn't the World Just Awesome!  :) 


Me and My Stitches said...

That is amazing! I love hummingbirds and enjoy watching them dart from the feeders to the flowers, but have never had a chance to see one so still and close-up. Kudos to you for taking the time to nurse this one back to health!

Cheryl said...


Brenda said...

This was one of the most memorable once in a lifetime opportunities! I snapped a few photos for future drawings. It sure has made this Labor Day Weekend a special one. :)

beforethedawn said...

I am glad the little hummingbird made it! What a great experience!

Blessings, Jessica

Brenda said...

Thanks Jessica... We were very blessed for the experience and the happy ending! :)