Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt ~ Reworked

The last couple of days have been dedicated to correcting an error on my quilt.  If you look at my original 9 Patch block, I created it with all the novelty fabric facing me.  It made for a wonderful looking block until it was divided into quarters and rearranged.  So, what happened?   Well...With the quilt top layout that I decided to do, the 12 pumpkin blocks were facing sideways and 12 of the broomsticks would be upside down.  (See the picture of the layout post.)  At first, I thought that I could live with it.  After all, this is my first quilt, and it is the quilter's choice to display the blocks the way she sees fit.  (Excuses..Excuses)  But after a lot of thought, I started ripping apart blocks.  Twenty-four blocks to be precise.  I turned the novelty fabric to the correct position and resewed them.  Oddly enough, it wasn't quite as miserable as it sounds.  At least, I got some more practice on lining up seams. ;) 

After 5 hours of rework, this is a pic of how my (time saving, right?) 9 Patch block should have looked in order to do my quilt top design.  Now, all of the novelty fabric will be facing  the same direction.  Whew!



This post is a heads up for anyone tackling this quilt with novelty fabrics in mind, but mostly it is a reminder for me if I should ever attempt this shortcut again.  I am excited to start piecing together my quilt top, but I have a gourd that needs some painting first. ;)


No comments: