Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sister's Choice Quilt in Progress

Last week, my time was spent designing the layout and cutting the pieces for my Sister's Choice Quilt. The quilt is being constructed with fabrics that I have on hand.  Although it will not be as wonderfully scrappy as Bonnie Hunter's (Quiltville) original design (here),  I am pretty confident that there will be plenty of fabric patterns incorporated in the design to keep the eye wandering.   



My original thought was to keep with Bonnie's design and mix up the fabrics on the outside border, but a loose sense of continuity won out due to the lack of stash colors.   I also decided to have a red/burgundy theme in each of the nine patch center squares.  This lead me to create basically 4 color patterns in the final blocks.  Two of the basic four blocks will have the 5 cross red/burgundy squares in the center.  Of those two sets, one stack will be bordered with white corners and tan sides, and the other will have tan corners and white sides (not pictured).



The red/burgundy squares will be in the center four configuration for the third and fourth stacks.  They will also be divided with one of the piles having tan sides and white corners (not pictured), and the other group having white sides and tan corners. 



Bonnie's quilt looks so beautiful.  I hope there is enough character in my pattern choices to make it pleasing to the eye.  Time will definitely answer that question for me! ;) 

No comments: