Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Confessions of a Quilt-a-Holic

It has been a "points to ponder" kind of month.  The flea markets are over for the year, and the house cleaning gets serious leading into the holidays.  This is the time I start to really get a good look at the new additions to the home.  One booming collection for me comes in the form of vintage quilts.  I love them.  I cannot just look at a quilt and NOT think about the hours of labor, skill, and wistful thoughts had while creating them.  All of them are true works of art.  They encompass and hold in their own stitches a time capsule from when they were created. 

The vast majority of my quilts have been purchased for under $15.00.  Yes, I wrote $15.00.  Over half of them were found for under $5.00.  These bargain basement beauties were given to the local thrift store.  Due to minor imperfections, these quilts were donned with the ominous title of "cutter quilts" and left for a fate of being repurposed into a new life.  You know me.  I am all for reinventing items, but these quilts (a double wedding ring in particular) were far from being cutters.  Mr. Hollow had to hold me back at the final flea market of the year in October.  Vendors were practically giving the quilts away.  It was terrible to leave so many behind, but there is only so much room at the inn! 

Last month, I gathered my various purchases and stacked the majority in my closet, until I could organize the rest of my house.  Oh my goodness, the flood of stories they could tell!  The countless stories that I will tell of the day I found and rescued them.  I was too tired from the day times drama to start snapping individual photos, so I took a quick pic of the stack. 

 
 
I seriously have been blessed with some glorious finds.  I promise to not photo bomb the upcoming days but will throw a random one in here and there.  These quilts deserve to see the top of a bed or to be able to aid in the warming of a body snuggled in on a couch with an intriguing book on a snowy night.  To all of my quilting friends, my wish is for all of your works of art to find loving homes for their lifetimes.  

No comments: