Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Fork in the Road

Do you ever need to reboot?  I felt like I have been struggling to re center my priorities that have strayed massively over the last three years of my life.  Not complaining, there have been some really fun times, but I look over the beginning of  this blog and my art and wonder what happened to that person.  My day job had become more demanding on me over the last three years.  The more it built up pressure... The less art I created.  Eventually, it won out and the art (and with it the blogging) dwindled to a trickle.  I wear many hats as part of my day job.  For the most part, I love them all and was successful in the areas I managed.  The best part of my job is the daily tasks being so contrary to the art I create at home.  But as the customer load expanded, I got caught up in the challenge to race the daily work clock.  It was fun to watch time fly past during the day, but unfortunately, it drained me of any desire to create once I arrived home.  My off time was spent rushing thru thrifting trips, just to feel like I wasn't missing out on life, and eating out instead of creating meals (my cooking always leaves with my art.)    I knew my priorities needed to be re evaluated but didn't know how to do it.  Apparently, my guardian angel decided to intervene, and by the grace of a higher power (and that reference is to a being who is not of human flesh), unforeseen changes came about to alter my daily duties.  Good or bad... I am not sure... But the work load got lessened and semi realistic for an 8 hour day , and that is really all that is important.    I liken the situation to the forks in the road that God has a tendency to put in front of us.  When all of a sudden, you wake up and realize you have wandered off your real path and are 3 years older wondering where the time has gone... again.  Regardless of what slap in the face wakes you up, it is an amazing re awakening when it happens.

I still enjoy my day job as a way to get out and be around people and would never not , in some capacity, want to give up the social aspect of working outside the home.  The life of an artist can at times be solitary... No complaints from a person who enjoys solitude... But a lot of solitude can turn one into a hermit... Not so good! lol   Life is telling me to get off my behind and live my dreams.... I have started by taking some much needed time off from the day job.  So, the last month has seen me cleaning out my studio, reorganizing my art storage, researching old and new art projects, baking (much to the happiness of family and friends lol), and getting back to one of my loves... Thrifting!

I love, love, love thrift shopping!  Not only do I enjoy redecorating my home with finds but repurposing items that would end up in a land fill.  My last trip to the thrift store was spur of the moment.  No time constraints... No place to be.  Just snooping around to see what struck my fancy. It was so much fun!

See the huge cookie cannister corn cob?  Ummm, we are in the corn belt here.  Love it!  lol  It needs to be cleaned with some Modern soap (Just a tip... It cuts thru grease immediately and works great with a toothbrush).  In the center of the photograph are some heavy wood hewn book ends.  I am not sure if the tin decorations will be left on them, but they will look great when I renovate our living room.  The vintage amber lamp was too pristine to be passed up.  It should cast a lovely glow when lit.  :)




My tastes can lean to the modern with a primitive twist.  This plaque, although made in China, caught my eye.  A bit of barbed wire framing set off the writing "When you can't sleep.  Don't count sheep... Talk to the Shepherd."   An old crate with the bottom created by lath mounted on my studio wall will house this.  Then, a walk through the kitchen area brought me to this old pasta maker.  It is absolutely pristine.  I am contemplating using this for some future clay projects.  How can you beat it for $5.00? 



I do not buy milk glass often, but the Westmoreland pedestal sweet plate had to be mine.  It isn't a high pedestal.  Perfect for displaying cookies or cupcakes on a lower level from a cake stand.  Some old fashioned bottles for dyes, crazy, bold, retro Glass Bake handled soup bowls, bag full of old clothes pins, and a modern but fun deviled egg plate.  The rooster will be great at the holidays!


Some wooden fruit will hopefully find their way into future projects... A vintage grater for cooking … And a lovely collection of plates.  I could go on forever about the over abundance of breath taking vintage plates and platters from Bavaria, Japan, England, and Germany.   I seriously had to show some restraint!!!   I wish now I would have done some individual photos to share a close look at the delicate details for pennies compared to their worth.  No reason to head to the department store.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many boxes of complete China sets there were on the floor for under $20.00 or how many incomplete settings.  A thrifty person could mix and match gorgeous special occasion and holiday settings.  If one should have a plate get broke, it may be a little sad but not a major hit to the pocket book. ;) 

I purchased the platters for Holiday get togethers... An inexpensive way to add class and beauty to baked goods.  Some of the smaller plates may find themselves as candy dishes for my home or wrapped in some cellophane and adorned with a bow to transport the gift of sweets to friends.  An inexpensive investment clearly beats the modern plastic containers!

 
It was so nice to appreciate the art in the vintage and modern pieces found.  When glancing back through correspondences and my studio storage, I was reminded of incomplete projects and requests for instructions.  My hopes are to get back on track of doing some "how to" blogging in some form.  I am also working on cleaning up my selling blog and store for extra items.  I spent a good part of the last month getting my studio in order.  It may come across in short posts, but I will share some finds and adventures over the summer as well.  For those that have sent correspondence, I will try and catch up with your questions.  It is so nice to see my past adventures have inspired others to try new forms of art!  
 
 

No comments: