Whimsical and Homespun Art Creations with a Little Rural Living Thrown In





Monday, July 4, 2011

#2 Nine Patch Block ~ SBS


I finished block number two!  Yay!!  Look at those seams.  To be honest, I have never had seams that lined up with such perfection on my first quilt top.  Thanks Leila!  She threw in the small suggestion to mark or know where your 1/4 inch seam line is on your machine.  Unfortunately, a cheap ruler made for an incorrect marking on the start of my first block.  Yikes!  But after measuring with one of my quilting rulers, I haven't had any problems.  It shows that a little suggestion, that some quilters would take for granted,  is golden to a newbie.  And thanks to the delivery of my quilting supplies, I know that my rotary cutting with the new mat has drastically improved and is more accurate. :)

Excitement was mounting last week as I waited for the announcement of the next block.  My answer was posted Friday... It is to be the "Churn Dash" block.  And I must say, it is a very impressive looking block.  With other commitments arising first,  I had to wait on beginning this block. Grrrr!  So, my cutting will commence tonight.  I am hooked on quilting and welcome tackling the challenge!

I thought I would share with you my partner in crime... my Sears Kenmore sewing machine.  This steel bodied beauty was what helped to create my first quilt top and will help me create this sampler quilt.  It was a find for $5.00 at a garage sale.  The moments that it has brought me are priceless.  I checked the background on this machine on line, and they say this serial number was manufactured in 1968.  You would never know by looking at it.  Of course, that was a great year.  Ooops, did I just give away my age! ;)

I have browsed through the newer machines and really like the Janome DC 2011 and Magnolia 7330.  Maybe some time in the future, one will grace my sewing room. Of course, it will have to share space with my current machine!

 For right now though, it is me and my trusty Kenmore... 




Happy 4th of July Everyone!! :)

No comments: